25/08/2009

City Vox Pops, part 2

What do you think are our realistic aims for the season, and where will we have to finish for Hughes to still be in charge this time next year?

Gary, We've Got Robinho
"A tough question because my heart is wrestling my head on this one. I don't think I would moan if we got top six, saying that we really should be pushing for top four throughout the season. I think Hughes may keep his job with a top six finish, I genuinely believe our owners will be happy if we make that kind of progress. You could argue though that he should be sacked if we don't have a really good go at making the top four, because let's face it, he has the resources to do so".

Ric, BlueMoon
"I think our realistic aim is a top six finish, and a decent cup run. Whether or not this will be sufficient to see Hughes keep his job remains to be seen".

Lloyd, Man City Issues
"I feel a realistic aim would be the top four. A Champions League place is definitely attainable, but I would take fifth. I think that we will definitely have to qualify for Europe for Hughes to remain as manager, but at the moment I am very happy with him".

Jack, The Lonesome Death of Roy Carroll
"The board have said quite explicitly that sixth is the target and, based on their record so far, we have to take them at their word. I'd be shocked if we achieved that and did not stick with Hughes for the 2010/11 season. In terms of a realistic target, I do think that we have the players for fifth place, but also that Spurs will give us a real fight".

Peter, Man City Blues
"I’m sure he has been given a target, the papers have said top six, and that may be right. Hughes is very confident, you can tell by his demeanour in interviews. I’m beginning to think Hughes is going to surprise us all this season. I hope so anyway".

Norfstander
"We have to aim to be the best of the rest this year, in my opinion. There are two leagues at the top now, a Big Four and a Big-ish Four on their trail; us, Spurs, Everton & Villa. We have to be looking to finish highest of those sides and if one of the big four falls away then we might be able to possibly take advantage. I'm not expecting to finish in the top four this season, though, that will involve much more than just signing a few expensive players. We'll need to put our poor away form behind us and grind out points at places where in previous years we've not been able to. 5th and a good cup run would be fine by me, and a real sign of progress".

2 comments:

  1. I think points and performance may count as well as position - last season city finished 3 points behind 7th place but a massive 12 points behind 6th and 22 points away from fourth. Thanks mainly to away form we lost 18 games whilst winning only 15. If this can be turned around with city's victories pushing into the 20s and the defeats coming in under 10 this will give city around 70 - 80 points - pushing for 3rd/4th and easily qualifying for Europe. With our current squad this should be an achievable target. Much will depend on how the squad gels together and the attitude of the players on the bench

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in total support of Mark Hughes, I think He's bought very wisely, Give this team time to gell. A couple of hard games coming up: Gunners and Reds, Draw with Gunners and 3 pts against Reds and we will be on our way. City supporter since 1956 cup final against Birmingham, so due some happiness...

    ReplyDelete